[Python-Dev] Introduction

Brett C. drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Thu, 22 May 2003 13:29:20 -0700

Tim Peters wrote:
>>I moved over to Mozilla Mail and I keep hitting "Reply" when I mean to
>>hit "Reply All".  Sorry about  that.
>

> Oh, it doesn't bother me a bit, Brett!  I'm more concerned that your
> response would have been helpful to the OP, and he didn't get to see it.

Well, lets find out!  Here is my email that was meant to go to the list
pasted below.

Tim Peters wrote:

 > [Jeffery Roberts]

<snip>

 >> I would love to be able to help with Python-dev in some way. I'm
 >> especially interested in issues directly related to the interpreter
 >> itself.  I have gained some compiler development experience while at
 >> the university and would love to continue working in this area.
 >>
 >> If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on how best I could proceed
 >> in this direction, I would love to hear them.
 >

 >  If you'd like to get your
 > feet wet first, there's always a backlog of Python bug and patch
reports on
 > SourceForge begging for attention.

I know I learned a lot from working on patches and bugs.  It especially
helps if you jump in on a patch that is being actively worked on and can
ask how something works.  Otherwise just read the source until your eyes
  bleed and curse anyone who doesn't write extensive documentation for
code.  =)

There also has been mention of the AST branch.  I know I plan on working
on that after I finish going through the bug and patch backlog.  Only
trouble is that the guys who actually fully understand it (Jeremy, Tim,
and Neal) are rather busy so it is going to be a "jump in the pool and
drown and hope your flailing manages to at least generate something
useful but you die and come back in another life wiser and able to
attempt again until you stop drowning and manage to only get sick from
gulping down so much chlorinated water".  =)

 >  Check out
 >
 >     http://www.python.org/dev/
 >
 > for orientation, and leave your spare time at the door <wink>.

I will vouch for the loss of spare time.  This has become a job.  Best
job ever, though.  =)

The only big piece of advice I can offer is to just make sure you are
nice and cordial on the list; there is a low tolerance for jerks here.
Don't take this as meaning to not take a stand on an issue!  All I am
saying is realize that email  does not transcribe humor perfectly and
until the list gets used to your personal writing style you  might have
to just make sure  what you write does not come off as insulting.

-Brett