[Python-Dev] Make _strptime only time.strptime implementation?

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 10:48:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Tim Peters wrote:
> > strptime did not roundtrip correctly with mktime on Linux.
>
> It was my understanding (possibly wrong, and please correct me if it is)
> that Brett fixed this.

I've just retested with my original code and it does look like Brett has
indeed fixed it.  Or at least fixed it to the point that mktime doesn't
croak on Linux, Solaris, Tru64, and IRIX with our app.

> The primary problem isn't the lack of a crisp spec, although that's the root
> cause of the real problem:  the problem is that how strptime behaves varies
> in fact across boxes.

Or more importantly that strptime is now standardized in Python, while
mktime is not.

Given that my previous problems with the Python strptime have been
addressed, I am now +1 on using it (although I'm still going to avoid it and
mktime in my code as much as possible).

-Kevin

Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect
Voice: (216) 986-0710 x 19         E-mail: jacobs@theopalgroup.com
Fax:   (216) 986-0714              WWW:    http://www.theopalgroup.com