[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore@atosorigin.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 14:09:47 +0100

From: Moore, Paul=20
> I've asked on the mingw users list about VC7 compatibility.
> It's quite possible that the msvcr71.dll EULA conditions
> will make this a non-starter, though (I don't understand
> them, but they sound scary...)

FWIW, I just got a reply from the mingw list. Because msvcrt
is distributed with the OS, and msvcr7 is not, GPL
compatibility becomes an issue. Specifically, mingw exploits
a specific clause in the GPL which allows dependencies on
"components of the OS". MSVCRT qualifies here, but MSVCR7
doesn't. So I don't think mingw will support building DLLs
which use MSVCR7 for the forseeable future :-(

Paul.