[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Paolo Invernizzi paoloinvernizzi@dmsware.com
Thu, 08 May 2003 13:08:41 +0200

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> as I read
> the quotes on the VC compiler included in the .NET SDK, it will only
> generate code that runs with the .NET libs installed. Could be wrong,
> though.

Uh?  The VC compiler included with the .NET SDK can only generate
managed code? I don't think so...

> Given that tools like distutils probably don't work
> out of the box with the VC7 compiler suite, I'd wait at least
> another release before making VC7 binaries the default on
> Windows.

Actually I have VC6 *and* VC7 in my at-work machine, python22 (Standard
distribution, VC6 based), python 23b1 (Standard, VC6 based) and python
cvs, wich I manually build with VC7.
I can build/install distutils packages choosing wich environment to use
(6 or 7) and python to use (22, 23b1, 23 head).
So I think this is a no-problem...

But isn't possible, at least, to have a 'not-default' release compiled
with VC7?

It can be a boost for having other *complicated* packages released with
VC7 among with VC6 (I'm thinking at wxPython, and so...)

---
Paolo Invernizzi