[Python-Dev] Re: MS VC 7 offer

Brian Quinlan brian@sweetapp.com
Wed, 07 May 2003 10:02:19 -0700

> > That is information about the core ABI. I do need to be concerned
> > about changes in the libraries, as well, in particular about
> > incompatibilities resulting from multiple copies of the C library.
> > You said you don't know much about that.
>
> I can find out almost as easily, if you have specific questions.

But the actual question that we would like to answer is quite broad:
what are all of the possible compatibility problems associated with
using a VC6 compiled DLL with a VC7 compiled application?

Assuming that only changed runtime data structures are going to be a
problem, knowing which ones cannot be passed between the two versions
would be nice. Below is a list of the standard types defined by
Microsoft's VC6 runtime library (taken from the VC6 docs):

clock_t
_complex
_dev_t
div_t, ldiv_t
_exception
FILE
_finddata_t, _wfinddata_t, _wfinddatai64_t
_FPIEEE_RECORD
fpos_t
_HEAPINFO
jmp_buf