[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Wed, 7 May 2003 09:19:50 +1000

> > Actually, I did.  I may have overstated the case slightly,
> but not by
> > much.
>
> Hmm. While this is certainly off-topic for python-dev, I'm still
> curious. So I just did this:

What you did is to create a library using a specific version of an
"external" library (MFC - shipped with MS as part of MSVC, but as external
as any other .lib you may use from anywhere)

You then upgrade to a newer version of the library, and attempted to link
code built using an earlier one.

So this has nothing to do with MSVC as such, only with MFC.  It is somewhat
similar to trying to use a Python 1.x extension with Python 2.x, or,
assuming it was possible, using the same MSVCx with 2 discrete MFC versions.

Mark.