[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

"Martin v. Löwis" martin@v.loewis.de
Wed, 07 May 2003 00:47:01 +0200

David Abrahams wrote:

> Actually, I did.  I may have overstated the case slightly, but not by
> much.

Hmm. While this is certainly off-topic for python-dev, I'm still
curious. So I just did this:

1. Create a library project with VC6. Put a single class into
    a single translation unit

#include <afx.h>

struct X:public CObject{
    X();
};

2. Compile this library with vc6.

3. Create an MFC application with VC7. Instantiate X somewhere.
    Try to link. This gives the error message

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'mfc42d.lib'

Sure enough, VC7 does not come with that library.
So it seems very clear to me that the libraries shipped are
incompatible in a way that does not allow to mix object files
of different compilers. Did I do something wrong here?

Regards,
Martin