[Python-Dev] Re: [Pydotorg] updated notes about building bsddb185 module

"Martin v. Löwis" martin@v.loewis.de
Sat, 03 May 2003 03:52:41 +0200

Andrew MacIntyre wrote:

> Could you not have the following?
>  - build bsddb if the Sleepycat libraries are found;

That is happening now.

>  - build bsddb185 if the DB 1.85 libraries can be found;

That is what I'm proposing. Volunteers should step forward.

>  - where bsddb is imported, try importing bsddb, and if that
>    fails try importing bsddb185 as bsddb (or as * inside the bsddb pkg).

I'm strongly opposed to that. Users of bsddb185 need to
make an explicit choice that they want to use that library. Otherwise,
we would have to deal with the bug reports resulting from the brokenness
of the library forever.

Regards,
Martin