[Python-Dev] Fast access to __builtins__

Neil Schemenauer nas@python.ca
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 05:47:34 -0800

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I don't think it's necessary to forbid things at the C API level in
> the sense of making it impossible to do.  We'll just document
> that C code shouldn't do that.

What about Python code that modifies that module __dict__ directly?  For
example, using vars() or globals() to get a reference to it and doing
__setitem__ on it.  My warning code only catches assignments that go
through the module tp_setattro slot.  I suppose warning about direct
__dict__ poking would require a proxy object to wrap the module dict.

  Neil