[Python-Dev] Py2.3 Todo List

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:37:25 -0400

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
>>"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>>>
>>>5) Add functions sys.setdefaultsourceencoding() and
>>>   sys.getdefaultsourceencoding() which allow setting and
>>>   querying the Python compiler's assumption about the
>>>   default source code encoding (currently ASCII) much in
>>>   the same way as sys.set/getdefaultencoding() work for
>>>   the internal string encoding assumption.
>>
>>This should not go into 2.3 (just as the other features shouldn't go
>>there).
>=20
> It was planned for 2.3 several months ago. The fact that it isn't in
> there yet is mostly my fault: I didn't have time to cook up a patch
> and forgot to ask here for other volunteers.

-1 unless Guido puts forth a Pronouncement that there will be two more
betas instead of just one.

-0 on a function that imports a specific module with a specific encoding.

While I understand the pain, I really don't want to break what "beta"
means.  I think that no patch should be accepted unless Guido explicitly
Pronounces that it's okay this late.
--=20
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.=
com/

Usenet is not a democracy.  It is a weird cross between an anarchy and a
dictatorship. =20