[Python-Dev] Py2.3 Todo List

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:31:43 -0300

> Way to go, Gustavo!  I suspect we all owe you a beer (hic!). ;-)

Thank you!! I'll mention this in the next time we meet. 8-)~

> If we weren't already at b1 I'd say go for it.  With the expectation
> of only one more beta though, I'm not sure.  I'd like to see a third
> beta or something else which would insure it gets plenty of testing.

Yes, another beta would be nice. Anyway, I'm open to whatever
the BDFL, or the BDFLT(eam) decides. :-)

> Perhaps you could build a test coverage version of the interpreter
> using gcc, run just the re regression tests and see if there are some
> lines of the changed code which are not being properly exercised.
> That would suggest where more tests are warranted.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've just done that, and commited the new
version to CVS. I was able to get 82% of coverage observating gcov's
output:

  82.07% of 1372 source lines executed in file ./Modules/_sre.c

This observation made me notice some interesting facts as well, like a
few unreachable places, not being used by the current parser/compiler.
This can probably be removed in the future.

Another thing I got in the process is the following regexp:

  re.match("(?=a)*", "a")

This will blow up the recursion limit in the current implementation,
and will consume all memory in the new implementation. IMO, this
should raise an error during the parsing process, as it makes no
sense to repeat a non-consuming group.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net