[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib pprint.py,1.24,1.25

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
08 Jun 2003 08:55:16 +0200

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org> writes:

> I'll note that I'm not against the idea, but getting the semantics
> just right won't be nearly so easy.  If someone does the work to
> figure it out and produces a working patch, I'll be more than happy to
> take a look at it.

I felt that the semantics of pprint are sufficiently vague so that
trading one instance of "correct" vs. another is acceptable. pprint
should be used for debugging output only, where the specifics of the
output are not that relevant, as long as it looks "pretty".

In any case, I have told Gerrit your ruling; we'll see whether he
comes back with a new patch.

Regards,
Martin