[Python-Dev] zip() in Py2.4

Raymond Hettinger python@rcn.com
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:08:09 -0400

[Barry Warsaw]
> Raymond, I remember that we made an explicit decision for zero arg zip()
> to raise an exception, but I don't remember what the rationale was.  Can
> you go back into the archives and see if you can find that discussion (I
> believe zip() predates the peps).

["Moore, Paul"]
It's PEP 201, and that contains a statement that Guido pronounced
explicitly on 0-arg zip producing an exception. Sadly, there's no
rationale given (but Guido doesn't need one :-))

After Guido gets settled in, I'll see if the California air has
changed his thinking.  If it hasn't, I'll at least get the
rationale documented.

Raymond Hettinger