[Python-Dev] 2.3.1

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:03:37 -0500

    Alex> .... Documenting the bug is better than nothing, but putting out a
    Alex> 2.3 release with such a known bug "because that bug won't affect
    Alex> Apple" (with its whopping, what, 5% of the market vs Microsoft's
    Alex> 90%+...?) still leaves me a bit perplexed....

Let's see, the following two aphorisms come to mind:

    * It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

    * Half a loaf is better than none.

The point is, Apple has a release window closing (Panther, 10.3) in a few
days and if we hit that release then Python 2.3 will be part of the mix.
While it might be only 5% of the desktop market, it's still a big plug for
Python and recognition of all the work Jack Jansen, Just van Rossum and
others have put into the MacPython stuff.

I see nothing wrong with letting this IDLE problem slip through to the 2.3
release with notes in the relevant readme-type documentation.  It's simply
been discovered too late to fix in this release given that we are at 2.3c2.

Skip