[Python-Dev] Need help with urllib/urllib2 (SF bug 549151)

Brett C. drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:03:34 -0700

John J Lee wrote:
> Guido wrote (in SF tracker for bug #549151):
>
>>Feel free to assign this to yourself if you want to grab it.
>

> If this was directed at me: I'm not a Python SF admin.  I'm happy to
> re-check & apply the patches, but it's up to you to decide whether it's
> worth the bother to add me as an admin just for that one thing.

It was actually directed at all of the existing developers on python-dev.

<SNIP>
> BTW, I guess it's too late to get rid of urllib2.Request.get_method, since
> that got into 2.2.3.  [It's true that, thanks to yours truly, 2.2.3's
> urllib2 is broken (there's a typo in the redirect code, believe it or
> not), but that doesn't make it OK to introduce a new method, then
> immediately yank it out again, I suppose!]

Did the 2.2 branch get patched with a fix for the typo?  If not please
make a patch since the 2.2 branch is going to be around for a while.

As for removing the method, it has to be deprecated first since it has
been in an actual release.

-Brett