[Python-Dev] logging package -- spurious package contents

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:07:28 -0500

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > The submodule logging/config.py contains code that I feel should not
 > be there.  I experimented with the config file format it implements,
 > and it appears very painful.  It appears mostly undocumented, typos in
 > the file are not always reported, and you seem to have to specify the
 > filename and mode twice.  (Example:
 > Since configuring the logging package with a few programmatic calls is
 > so easy, and applications that need serious logging configurability
 > typically already have some configuration mechanism, I propose to drop
 > this from the Python distribution.

I agree.  The configuration machinery isn't very helpful unless you're
desparate, in which case you have other problems.

 > I'm similarly not convinced of the utility of the logging/handlers.py
 > submodule, but I've never tried to use it, so lacking any particular
 > negative experience all I can say against it is YAGNI.

This is, one the other hand, quite useful.  Several handlers defined
in this module are useful.

 > Does anyone on python-dev think the logging package would lose utility
 > if I removed those submodules?

+1 on losing logging.config
-1 on losing logging.handlers

  -Fred