[Python-Dev] Re: Extension modules, Threading, and the GIL

David Abrahams dave@boost-consulting.com
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 14:45:38 -0500

holger krekel <pyth@devel.trillke.net> writes:

> Tim Peters wrote:
>> [...]
>> I'd also like to postulate that proposed solutions can rely on a new Python
>> C API supplying a portable spelling of thread-local storage.  We can
>> implement that easily on pthreads and Windows boxes, it seems to me to cut
>> to the heart of several problems, and I'm willing to say that Python
>> threading doesn't work anymore on other boxes until platform wizards
>> volunteer code to implement this API there too.
>
> FWIW, I am pretty confident that this can be done (read: copied) as
> Douglas Schmidt has implemented it (on more platforms than python
> supports <wink>) in the Adapative Communication Framework (ACE):
>
> http://doc.ece.uci.edu/Doxygen/Beta/html/ace/classACE__TSS.html

We also have a TSS implementation in the Boost.Threads library.  I
haven't looked at the ACE code myself, but I've heard that every
component depends on many others, so it might be easier to extract
useful information from the Boost implementation.

--
                       David Abrahams
   dave@boost-consulting.com * http://www.boost-consulting.com