[Python-Dev] Dynamic bytecode analysis

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:01:43 -0600

    mal> pystone is *not* your typical Python application. If you want some
    mal> interesting data, I'd suggest to use applications like Zope, PySol,
    mal> Mailman, etc. as basis.

Let me mention once again that I have an XML-RPC server available to which
applications can connect and upload their dynamic opcode frequencies.  This
can be done more-or-less transparently using the atexit module.  Others can
then fetch aggregate information for use like Damien's.  It's running at

    dxp = xmlrpclib.ServerProxy("http://manatee.mojam.com:7304")

To get a usage message, execute

    print dxp.usage()

I've run it for the past couple months, since my last announcement here and
in c.l.py but have yet to pick up any data.  I'm going to take a dose of my
own medicine and start running Python on my development machine with
DYNAMIC_EXCUTION_PROFILE and DXPAIRS defined and modify my interactive setup
and a couple applications I run frequently to dump their instruction counts.

Skip