[Python-Dev] New regex syntax? (was: Some questions about maintenance of the regular expression code.)

erik heneryd erik@pythonware.com
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:29:53 +0100

Brett Cannon wrote:

>>In general I find regular expressions mostly unreadable.
>>

>Ditto.

I'd say both regular expressions and the corresponding python code can
be pretty incomprehensible.
Regexes because they're too dense and complex, python code becuase it's
too lengthy to describe what parts of a string you're after.
I've stumbled upon both 100 char regexes and 25 line python string
manipulation snippets - both variants taking a while to figure out what
they do.

...but I guess the design of a new, better, string matching sublanguage
wasn't the topic here? or am I mistaken?

        Erik