[Python-Dev] Pie-thon benchmark code ready

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Dec 31 23:44:01 EST 2003

> Jython is still not up to run it. But yes it would be an interesting thing.

Maybe you could find a sponsor for Jython development...?

> Indeed in any case some other things wrt representation would be a problem
> still:
>
> Jython 2.2a0 on java1.4.0_02 (JIT: null)
>  >>> u'a'
> 'a'
>  >>> def f(): pass
>  >>> f
> <function f 1>
>  >>> class X:
> ...  pass
>  >>> X
> <class __main__.X 2>
>  >>>

> In general <...> reprs vary.

But I've seen enough people write code that parses <...> reprs in some
way to make me think that maybe they should be standardized somewhat,
at least to the point where different Python implementations should
not differ gratuitously.  E.g. Jython could be much closer to CPython
by inserting 'at 0x'.  It's not like standardizing this would close
off an important implementation freedom for other Python
implementation.  (I won't go as far as requiring that the number
should be the same as hex(id(x)). :-)