[Python-Dev] Last chance! (was: Does anybody really use frame->f_tstate ?)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Dec 19 10:31:42 EST 2003

> since I didn't get *any* reply to this request,
> either the request was bad or there is really
> nobody using f_tstate in a way that makes it
> urgent to keep.
> I will wait a few hours and then make the change
> to Stackless, and I'd like to propose to do the
> same to the Python core.

I saved the message, but haven't had the time yet to think things
through.

I *did* notice at least one case where using f_tstate might actually
be a mistake: theoretically it's possible that two or more threads
alternate calling next() on a generator (if they wrap it in a critical
section); AFAICT the f_tstate is never updated.