[Python-Dev] Proposal for new core module: UserFIle

Keith Dart kdart at kdart.com
Sat Dec 13 19:34:46 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 07:35, Oren Tirosh wrote:

> Some people think that "threads suck" while others swear by them.
> The Python language supports both the threaded and event-driven I/O
> programming styles and generally avoids taking sides on programming
> style holy wars.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. I do a lot of
"low-level" programming in Python (lots of system calls, signals, pipes,
etc.) and sometimes I feel like Python is not well suited for that...
But I suppose if one were writing some data processing or GUI-style
application then threads would be more appropriate.

> Some people think that "signals suck" while others use them happily.
> Our BDFL happens to be on the "signals suck" camp and *is* taking a
> side by refusing EINTR retry loops around Python's I/O calls.

It appears so. 8-)

> The signal module has been reluctantly accepted into Python but if you
> want to actually use it you are on your own - don't use the builtin
> file object and implement all I/O calls yourself with the os module so
> you can retry on EINTR.

Yep, I have practically done that. I have a large number of "forked"
modules that utilize the async I/O model. I was thinking it would be
cool to get that part of the standard library. Now I see that might not
be possible.

> Personally, I can't see what harm could come from making Python I/O
> EINTR-safe but Guido made it clear that such patches will not be
> accepted. Good luck.

Yep, thanks.

--
Keith Dart