[Python-Dev] Re: distributing modules

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Dec 11 06:34:14 EST 2003

Keith Dart <kdart at kdart.com> writes:

> That's true. In fact, I do distribute some from sourceforge.net (in the
> pyNMS project) now. But that is a large package that does contain some
> general and unrelated modules that others might find useful.

As the first step, you should make use of distutils, then generate
binary packages for the platforms you care about (e.g. bdist_wininst,
bdist_rpm).

As the second step, you should register your packages with PyPI:

http://www.python.org/pypi

> Also, I know it is often said that Python has "batteries included".
> However, in my experience the "batteries" are often inadequate for the
> job. Many modules are incomplete, or otherwise like some key
> functionality. I have had to extend and/or rewrite many of the "stock"
> libraries over the past few years.

As Michael explains, improvements on existing libraries are very much
appreciated. You should upload each improvement individually to SF,
indicating what bug it fixes or what feature it adds. I would be
concerned about rewrites, though, because they might break backwards
compatibility.

Regards,
Martin