[Python-Dev] Int FutureWarnings and other 2.4 TODOs

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Dec 2 10:10:55 EST 2003

> Would there still be an int type and a long type in Python 3.0, or
> would the notion of a long be be dropped. If it were dropped, then
> the int representation would be transparently represented as a long
> if the size of the number could not fit in an int. If long is
> dropped then the long function could be added to the list of
> builtins that will disappear in Python 3.0.

I'm not sure about that yet.  I'd *like* to find a hack that lets the
int type change representations, but the fact is that it's much easier
to use different types to indicate different representations.

But you're right, even if there are two types, there's probably no
reason to expose the 'long' type as a builtin.  So long should go on
the list as *likely* to disappear in 3.0.