[Python-Dev] New test failure on Windows

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:17:56 -0400

[Guido]
> I think I understand the problem, and I've checked something in that
> makes the test pass, by insisting that the match raise RuntimeError
> with a specific error message.  This is what was tested before; that
> particular error message was part of the expected output in
> Lib/test/output/test_re, which is now no longer needed and which I
> have hence deleted.

That's all exactly right.  Thanks!

> (Hmm, I wonder if there are any other files in Lib/test/output that
> are no longer needed?  All those files should eventually disappear...)

Fred used to keep good track of this, so I doubt there's a big backlog.  I
expect the best candidates are those (like the re tests) recently converted
to unittest.  Getting rid of expected-output files should be part of such a
conversion (or of a conversion to doctest).  OTOH, the expected-output kind
of test remains fine by me!  It used to be very painful to see what went
wrong when things failed, but quite some time ago that mechanism was
reworked to save all the output and display a diff instead.