[Python-Dev] stats.py (was 'summing a bunch of numbers ')

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:30:28 -0400

Since it already exists as a 3rd party package, we should definitely
not try to duplicate the effort.  Then the question is, is it enough
to point to the 3rd party package or does it deserve to be
incorporated into the core?  We can't go and incorporate every useful
3rd party package into the core (that's the job of the SUMO
distribution project -- whichunfortunately seems to have stalled).
OTOH, having it in the core, with decent documentation, might prevent
naive wannabe-statisticians like myself from misremembering how
standard deviation is implemented, or when to use it. :-)