[Python-Dev] Using temp files and the Internet in regression tests

Brett Cannon drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 00:51:18 -0700 (PDT)

[Guido van Rossum]

> > For the regression tests for the stdlib, is it okay to create temporary
> > files (using tempfile) and connect to the Internet (when the network
> > resource is enabled)?
>
> Tempfiles: definitely; though if you need a single temporary file, you
> can use test_support.TESTFN.

Perfect.  Exactly what I was looking for.

> Connecting to the Internet: only if the network resource is enabled.
> Then it is up to the tester to make sure that connection to the
> Internet is possible.

Any suggestions on how to go about this?  An initial connection to
python.org after setting socket.setdefaulttimeout() to something
reasonable (like 10 seconds?) and raising test_support.TestSkipped if it
times out?

-Brett