[Python-Dev] Placement of os.fdopen functionality

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:39:53 +1200 (NZST)

> If I had to do it over again, your suggestion would make sense;
>
> But having this in the os module, which deals with such low-level file
> descriptors, still strikes me as a pretty decent place to put it as
> well, and I don't think it's worth the bother of updating
> documentation and so on.

I can think of another reason for making it a class
method: so that custom subclasses of file, or other
file-like objects, can override it to create objects
of the appropriate type.

But since it is an os-dependent feature, the implementation
of it probably does belong in the os module.

So how about providing a file.fromfd() which calls
os.fdopen()?