[Python-Dev] socket question

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
07 Apr 2003 13:43:28 -0400

Rick,

This question would be more appropriate on python-list.  The python-dev
list is for discussion among people who work on the Python
implementation, rather than for end-user questions.  But don't sweat it;
you probably didn't know that.

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 13:16, Rick Y wrote:
> how can i enable _sockt module in my solaris python?.
> i did not build it. Downloaded it from sunfreeware.
>
> ./viewcvs-install
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./viewcvs-install", line 35, in ?
>     import compat
>   File "./lib/compat.py", line 20, in ?
>     import urllib
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/urllib.py", line 26,
> in ?
>     import socket
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/socket.py", line 41,
> in ?
>     from _socket import *
> ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.6:
> open failed: No such file or directory

The version of Python you are using has been linked against OpenSSL.
The import of _socket is failing because the libssl.so can't be found at
run-time.  You either need to tell your linker where to find the file or
install OpenSSL.  I'm sure you can find more help on the details on the
other list.

Jeremy