[Python-Dev] python-dev Summary for 2003-03-16 through 2003-03-31

Brett Cannon drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:36:38 -0800 (PST)

[Zooko]

>  Brett Cannon <bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
> >
> > One point made about capabilities is that they partially go against the
> > Pythonic grain.  Since you have to pass capabilities specifically and
> > shouldn't allow them to be inherited, it does not go with the way you tend
> > to write Python code.
>
> This doesn't make sense to me, and I don't recall a message which asserted it.

It was said in an email.  I don't remember who off the top of my head, but
someone stated something along these lines.

> If capabilities were implemented as Python references, you could inherit
> capabilities (== references) from superclasses, just as you can currently do.

That's why it says "shouldn't" instead of "couldn't".  I could re-word
this to go more along the way Ping phrased it in how the class statement
does not make perfect sense for capabilities but it can be used.

> The rest looks like a good summary!

Thanks.

-Brett