[Python-Dev] Incorporating bsddb3

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:17:19 -0500

    >> Copyright (c) 1999-2001, Digital Creations, Fredericksburg, VA,
    >> USA and Andrew Kuchling. All rights reserved.

    GvR> Now I'm confused.  I thought this was Robun Dunn's bsddb3
    GvR> module?  Is there another?

ZC paid Robin to develop bsddb3.

Early on when we were developing the Berkeley storages for ZODB, we
specifically asked Sleepycat about redistribution and they said that
there would be no legal problem to us redistributing source or
binaries with Python, because Python is also open source.  I wouldn't
take my word for that though -- I'd want to get that in writing -- if
we decided to distribute the library.

I'm not sure we'd want to distribute either the source or binary
though.  They're fairly large.  If we did, I'd recommend BerkeleyDB
4.0.14, not the latest version, because bsddb3 doesn't yet build on
4.1.24 because of some incompatible API changes, IIUC.

Note that bsddb3's Windows distro comes with the BerkeleyDB dll's, I
beleive.

Martin, what do you plan to do about the pybsddb test suite?  It's
also fairly large.  If you do add that, I'd suggest not running it by
default, but only with a -resource flag.  Then there's the
documentation and project management issues to talk about.  Maybe we
include none of that, but simply "import" the code into Python and
re-sync whenever it's appropriate.

-Barry