[Python-Dev] buffer('abc') == 'abc' is False ?!

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:45:02 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>The above just was a hint not to deprecate the buffer
>>object until we've come up with a decent replacement
>>that's easy to adapt in existing code.
>

> So, apart from the Python 2.1 requirement, subclassing str does the
> trick, right?

Right.

Would be nice if there were a standard builtin, e.g. binary(),
for this and maybe some support code to go with it in C (e.g.
the type object would be nice to have at C level).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH