[Python-Dev] The -U flag

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:16:30 -0400

> > But didn't we at one point conclude that -U was never gonna work?
>
> I'm not aware of a formal decision about that. I readily admit that it
> wont' work in any foreseeable future, but I haven't given up for P3k :-)

Maybe MAL remembers after seeing this checkin comment to Modules/main.c:

----------------------------
revision 1.63
date: 2002/02/11 18:46:47;  author: lemburg;  state: Exp;  lines: +0 -1
Remove mentioning of -U option in "python -h" output.
----------------------------

> This time, my interest was triggered by someone on c.l.p who could not
> reverse a string, since it was in UTF-8; he was asking why Python is
> so difficult for Swedish people.

Yeah, he mailed me first -- I don't understand why his default
encoding isn'y Latin-1 though.

> > And wasn't that why it's no longer documented?
>
> Yes: because it won't work in any foreseeable future.
>
> I'll take your statement that "small" changes towards making -U work
> are acceptable; I'll see how far I get with small changes until I get
> stuck again.

Sure.