[Python-Dev] Non-ASCII characters in test_pep277.py in 2.3

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
10 Oct 2002 10:00:44 +0100

"Neil Hodgson" <nhodgson@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> Stephen J. Turnbull:
>
> > No current XEmacs recognizes cookies in the second line.  I tried it,
> > it broke, I backed it out, had a bad attack of day job, and forgot to
> > fix the patch.  :-(
>
>    Where did the coding cookie originally come from? It seems to have
> arrived in Python from somewhere else, probably Emacs but I couldn't find a
> reference in PEP-263.

>From the FSF Emacs 21.1 info file (node "Recognizing Coding Systems"):

       You can specify the coding system for a particular file using
    the `-*-...-*-' construct at the beginning of a file, or a local
    variables list at the end (*note File Variables::).  You do this
    by defining a value for the "variable" named `coding'.  Emacs does
    not really have a variable `coding'; instead of setting a
    variable, this uses the specified coding system for the file.  For
    example, `-*-mode: C; coding: latin-1;-*-' specifies use of the
    Latin-1 coding system, as well as C mode.  When you specify the
    coding explicitly in the file, that overrides
    `file-coding-system-alist'.

Not sure if this existed in 20.x.

I think the emacs manual is online somewhere, but not sure where.

Cheers,
M.

--
  For their next act, they'll no doubt be buying a firewall
  running under NT, which makes about as much sense as