[Python-Dev] Some bugs in Python? Is this reportable?

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
26 Nov 2002 09:45:17 +0100

"John D." <lists@webcrunchers.com> writes:

> This Python "feature" has been here for so long, I assumed it was
> supposed to work this way... Problem is when a control-c is typed,
> it does a CORE DUMP!  OpenBSD 3.2, 3.1, 3.0, 2.9, and beyond. i386
> build. Standard PC.  Python 2.2.2, 2.2.1, 2.1, and beyond. Standard
> build.

You can report it, but not here. Please use sf.net/projects/python to
report bugs.

> Abort (core dumped)

Notice that this is a failed assertion in the C library of your
operating system. It should not be possible for applications (Python
or other) to trigger assertions in the C library, so when this
happens, it indicates a bug in the system.

Python might be using the C library incorrectly, though; please add
-D_THREADSAFE to your Python compilation and see whether this changes
anything.

If this really is a bug in the system, you should configure Python
with --disable-threads.

Regards,
Martin