[Python-Dev] Half-baked proposal: * (and **?) in assignments

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:29:47 -0600

On Friday 22 November 2002 08:34 pm, Gareth McCaughan wrote:
> Since
>
>     def f(a,b,*c): ...
>     f(1,2,3,4,5)
>
> does (in effect) a=1, b=2, c=(3,4,5), I suggest that
>
>     a,b,*c = 1,2,3,4,5
>
> should do a=1, b=2, c=(3,4,5) too.

Funny you should bring this up. Last Sunday I was demonstrating Python
to some novice programmers and we were talking about tuple unpacking.
Someone asked how you could unpack only the first couple of items from
a tuple. I immediately decided to try the code that you suggested and
was disappointed it didn't work (Not that I really expected it to work,
but sometimes you surprise yourself.) Anyway, we then moved on to
slicing, but I do like this approach that you suggest.

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech      http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien