[Python-Dev] bsddb3 imported

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:59:44 -0500

    >> I think this one at least is fixed in pybsddb's cvs.  Can you
    >> update to the latest cvs?

    MvL> Not if I can avoid it. If I have to merge now, how can I
    MvL> merge the next time?

I thought we decided that once we get a blessed version in the Python
cvs tree, we should /stop/ any development over in pybsddb.sf.net?  If
not, why did we merge?

    MvL> Copying over the files won't work (because of the few changes
    MvL> I had to make), so I will have to apply patches. But how can
    MvL> I produce patches if I have to diff against some CVS
    MvL> snapshot? I don't want to keep the snapshot around, because
    MvL> that would mean nobody but me could merge the code the next
    MvL> time.

    MvL> Of course, if there was a 3.4.1 release or some such, merging
    MvL> would be easier: I would now apply the diffs between 3.4.0
    MvL> and 3.4.1, and the next time the diffs between 3.4.1, and the
    MvL> then-current release.

Actually, what's in pybsddb's cvs reports itself as 3.4.2.  I've been
using that extensively and it's stable.

Greg, perhaps you can make a 3.4.2 release and mark it as the last
that is going to come out of pybsddb.sf.net.  Then Martin can pull
that into Python cvs and future development would out of the Python
project.  Pybsddb would stick around if you want to do future
distutils releases (e.g. for BDB 4.1.24).  Anyone who has commit privs
to pybsddb but not python can probably be given access to the latter.

This is basically how I run the mimelib/email stuff and it's not too
painful.  I can help with details if necessary.

-Barry