[getopt-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Adopting Optik

Brett Cannon drifty@bigfoot.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:52:15 -0800 (PST)

[Guido van Rossum]

> Of all the names suggested so far, I like optlib and argvparse equally
> well.  Can we do a tally of votes for those, to decide?

+1 argvparse
-0 optlib

And to just continue with what I had done before, here is the current
tally for votes for the two options (based on direct replies to Guido's
email calling for this vote except for Raymond's)::

argvparse:
	+1 : (David Abrahams, Brett Cannon, Barry Warsaw, Patrick O'Brien)
	+0 : ()
	-0 : ()
	-1 : (Michael Gilfix)

optlib:
	+1 : (Michael Gilfix, Raymond Hettinger)
	+0 : (Barry Warsaw)
	-0 : (Brett Cannon)
	-1 : (David Abrahams, David Ascher)

Vague votes:
	Ka-Ping Yee (likes argvparse)
	David Goodger ("optlib > argvparse")
	David Ascher ("I'd pick argvparse over optlib")
	Greg Ward ("argvparse turns my stomach; optlib I like")

Notes:
	David Abrahams would change his vote for ``optlib`` if the name
was ``optionslib``.  Michael Lay likes this name, too.
	Patrick O'Brien's vote is only if argvlib doesn't go anywhere.

OptionParser, optparse, and argvlib were the wild card names mentioned the
most.  People also warmed to ``optionslib`` more than ``optlib`` and
seemed willing to change there vote if ``optlib`` metamorphosed.

-Brett

P.S.: Guido, if you call another vote with different names for some
reason, can you change the subject line of the email so that Mailman makes
all the votes a single thread?  Makes it easier for me to count (assuming
you want me to keep bothering to count).