[Python-Dev] Removing support for IRIX 4 dynamic linking

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:44:37 +0100

Python currently has an option --with-sgi-dl, which is documented as
"IRIX 4 dynamic linking". I understand the current version of IRIX is
6.5, so I wonder whether this code is still in use, or should be
scheduled for removal (if it is in use on IRIX 6 as well, the
documentation should change).

I also wonder whether IRIX 4 is still in use by Python users. If not,
I would schedule support for this system for removal. There are only a
few places which seem to be specific to IRIX 4,
e.g. BAD_EXEC_PROTOTYPES (which would give a configure abort if it
happens on some other system, in Python 2.3).

Does anybody know whether the comment

# Most SVR4 platforms (e.g. Solaris) need -lsocket and -lnsl.
# However on SGI IRIX, these exist but are broken.

applies to IRIX 5 or later?

Regards,
Martin