[Python-Dev] Snake farm

Marc Recht marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de
11 Nov 2002 18:07:10 +0100

--=-R+GGiPN+KuS6g7PcEhlL

> Could you please call it __EXTENSIONS__? Many of the functions that
> fall under it are not BSD specific, and _BSD_SOURCE selects the
> favour-bsd API on other systems.=20
The responsible person seems to be against a solution like this. But, in
the discussion it turns out that you are right and there some bugs in
FreeBSD's unistd.h. The fixes will (probably) committed today. But=20
there are some issues left mostly in the RPC and socket code, which need
__BSD_VISIBLE. Some problems are left, because some functions (like
ftello) are only defined at a higher POSIX level.
=20
> out support for a number of such systems. It's just not worth the
> pain. Python works on Posix systems, and uses extensions where
> available. It does not work on strange systems; tough luck for users
> of such systems (we have yet to hear from a DYNIX user who wants to
> run Python 2.2).
I'm not talking about strange systems. Although I've not tested it
BSD/OS comes to mind or NetBSD/OpenBSD.=20

> > > Only if all other options have been exhausted. What problems occur if
> > > _XOPEN_SOURCE is defined?
> > _XOPEN_SOURCE sets _POSIX_C_SOURCE.
>=20
> And why is that a problem?
In that case __BSD_VISIBLE is not set.

Regards,
Marc
--=20
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." -- Donald E. Knuth

--=-R+GGiPN+KuS6g7PcEhlL

--=-R+GGiPN+KuS6g7PcEhlL--