[Python-Dev] Re: Deprecation

Steve Holden sholden@holdenweb.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 04:12:25 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@python.org>
To: "Steve Holden" <sholden@holdenweb.com>
Cc: <python-dev@python.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 9:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] Re: Deprecation

> > Well, personally I think it would be great if every release silently
> > suppressed deprecation warnings for code older than the release. So
> > it would only need to know its own release date. But I've made the
> > suggestion before, so apparently nobody thinks this is a sensible
> > way to achieve "silent deprecation".
>
> I think it would defeat the purpose.  Plus, how do you determine the
> age?

Clearly you'd have to goby the source file date, since a new release would
recompile the .pyc's. The main advantage is that deprecation wornings
wouldn't start appearing after the installation of a new release. The only
advantage I see for it is the silence. Obviously it would eventually mean
that programs died a sudden death due to feature loss. The warnings would
appear if the code were maintained, however.

regards
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/