[Python-Dev] True division in embedded Python

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:03:20 -0400

> Sounds like there's a need for some documented access functions.  At
> the very least the docs should mention how programmers must
> currently set these flags.  I'll be happy to send in a patch for the
> ext/embed docs and/or provide a patch to implement the necessary
> calls.

Yes and no.  I'm not very keen on people turning this on for
themselves.  The only acceptable exception (and the reason why -Qnew
exists) is in certain educational settings, where most code is written
throw-away, examples using floats abound, and the teacher doesn't want
to have to explain integer division.