Depreciation (was: Re: [Python-Dev] deprecating string module?)

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Wed, 29 May 2002 17:52:34 +0200 (CEST)

Aahz to Skip:
> > So don't keep proposing changes that break 1.5.2 compatibility.

Guido van Rossum:
> -1.  That means we could never deprecate a feature.

Than don't do it!  Simply never remove features from
the language (whether the feature is documented or not).

Do it like Niklaus Wirth:  Always start with a fresh new name for the
language, whenever a major cleanup of unwanted features seems to be
absolutely unavoidable to you: Wirth invented Pascal, later Modula-2
and finally Oberon.

However ... Orlijthon ... hmmm ... this seems to be somewhat hard
to type and spell.  ;-)

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Fax:+49 4222950260
office: +49 421 20419-0 (ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Str.8, D-28359 Bremen, Germany)