[Python-Dev] to string or not to string...

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 14:10:37 -0700

Recent checkins mean that:

E:\CVS\python\dist\src\PCbuild>python
Python 2.3a0 (#29, May 24 2002, 13:47:58) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
 >>> isinstance('foo', string)
True
 >>> import string
 >>> isinstance('foo', string)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: isinstance() arg 2 must be a class or type

I realize that there isn't a backwards compatibility problem per se, but
there is something bothersome about the above, I think.  I also am not
to keen on having to keep "str" and "string" separate, but I don't have
any better suggestion for the interface name (for that's what "string" is).

Do we want string to be both the module and the interface masquerading
as a type?

--da

[Trent gets the credit for asking the question -- I'm just the tester =)]