[Python-Dev] Moving forward on the object memory API

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 18:13:17 -0500

[martin@v.loewis.de]
> The third part is easy to answer. If it is deprecated, and used in the
> core or an extension, that use must be removed. Neal is really good at
> removing deprecated usage :-)

This is too easy of an answer, as the docs *already* make such distinctions.
Read the tail end of the PyMem_ docs (PyMem_UPPERCASE is supposedly already
deprecated, but only in extension modules).

> That will be interesting to extension authors. If they are think they
> can get performance from using a macro, they will use the macro.

Even if it doesn't guarantee binary compatibility?  They really can't tell
from the docs now; I want us to finally answer such questions.

> If C code shouldn't care, we needed only half of them.

If you ask me, we didn't need more than a fourth of them <wink>.