[Python-Dev] pymalloc killer

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:23:45 -0500

[martin@v.loewis.de]
> It would not be vulnerable if you would not free the old arena list,
> right?

Bingo!  That occurred to me when I woke up.  As I went to sleep, I was
picturing an elaborate scheme of saving the "last N" vectors, and recycling
them in tricky ways.  Overnight, sleep simplified the recycling scheme into
an empty statement <wink>.

> Although I'd declare arenas as volatile...

Why?  Thread problems aren't solved by superstition, and that's what adding
"volatile" *usually* is.  It's generally no more of a cure than adding a
sleep().  More on that in my reply to Guido.