[Python-Dev] Debug entry points for PyMalloc

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 19:54:08 -0500

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Aahz]
>>
>> I'm almost certainly betraying my ignorance here, but it sounds to
>> me like malloc isn't doing any sanity checking to make sure that the
>> memory it received isn't already being used.
>
> Well, malloc doesn't receive memory, it allocates it, and
> _PyMalloc_DebugMalloc just wraps somebody *else's* malloc.  It's not trying
> to debug the platform malloc, it's trying to debug "the user's" (Python's)
> use of the memory malloc returns.

Okay, you *really* meant it when you said that your debug wrapper
doesn't touch the underlying malloc() implmentation.  ;-)
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"We should forget about small efficiencies, about 97% of the time.
Premature optimization is the root of all evil."  --Knuth