[Python-Dev] PEP 2: Procedure for Adding New Modules

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:22:25 +0100

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Martijn> http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0002.html
>
>     Martijn> Is this going in the right direction? Any things I should
>     Martijn> change?
>
> Yeah, I think it's headed in the right direction.  One thing I would suggest
> is that the lead maintainer(s) for a module be granted checkin privileges.

Sure, I can add this, though perhaps that belongs in the 'technical PEP'
that should be its companion. What do others think about this?

> You mentioned python-dev.  It's high-traffic enough that the list admins
> should notice pretty quickly if a module's maintainer's email address goes
> bad.  That would allow someone to start tracking them down before it's been
> 18 months since anyone's heard from Joe X. Emell.

There was some discussion about this, but apparently this is indeed
possible. I could therefore add a phrase that lead maintainers are to
be subscribed to python-dev. That doesn't mean necessarily that they're
in fact listening of course, and doesn't track who is supposed to be
lead maintainer for what. Still, being subscribed to a mailing list where
they can be easily reached is a good idea.

Regards,

Martijn