[Python-Dev] Next version of PEP278 - universal newline support - available

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:25:28 -0500

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I wonder if it would make sense to put a warning when people use
> f.read(n) on a file opened in text mode?  I think f.read(n) is an
> almost sure sign that they're seeing the file as binary data.
> However, f.read() or f.read(-1) is used to slurp in text as well, so
> should not trigger the warning.
>
> Opinions?

+1

Warnings for something we know to be a problem are "always" good.  The
only worry is CGI scripts, but even then warnings go to stderr, right?
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
to post the wrong information.  --Aahz