[Python-Dev] PEP 263 considered faulty (for some Japanese)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:06:49 +0100

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > But the Web in general provides (mandatory) protocols for identifying
> > content-type, yet I regularly see HTML files with incorrect http-equiv
> > meta elements, and XHTML with no encoding declaration containing Shift
> > JIS.
>
> which reminds me: the HTTP protocol says that a charset specified
> at the HTTP protocol level should override any encoding specified in
> the document itself.
>
> how do we deal with this?  an encoding override to compile()?

The PEP says:
"""
       The builtin compile() API will be enhanced to accept Unicode as
       input. 8-bit string input is subject to the standard procedure
       for encoding detection as decsribed above.
"""
so the problem of decoding source code input to compile()
is shifted into the application space.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH